Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Unplanned Off-Roading

I've had a string of emotional weeks and this one may top the list. I reported on my facebook page that boys and I had an unplanned off-road adventure on Monday morning. (so thankful for all of the kind words and thoughtfulness) The roads were a mess at 6:00 a.m. and the line of traffic was being extra cautious around a group of S-curves that I travel each morning. While braking gently in response to a glow of brake lights ahead, I could feel my truck slipping into the wet, thick slush. As the truck swayed back and forth for about 100 yards, I could hear the rumble strips from the center line. The sound is worse than nails on a chalkboard when your truck is a little out of control and you see oncoming traffic. For the most part, I decided to bail and steered toward the ditch. It was a pretty soft landing...but we were pretty stuck. (I still have mud caked up on my running boards.) It took nearly 2 hours for the tow truck to show and to pull us out to safety. (The $100 bill was a bargain, the man was a saint..it was windy, snowy, and cars kept blasting him with slush while he worked to dig us out with a shovel so he could hook up the winch.)

The boys and I were pretty shook up and opted to go home rather than traveling on to school/work. They were absolute angels in the car waiting. We listened to the radio (The Lion King Soundtrack.) We played rhyming games and talked about how fast Ryan thought that help would come. All the while, I sat there shaking. How thankful I am for...

Ryan thought the tow truck was cool. It looked like a young Mater with the flashing light and big rope chain that pulled us slowly to safety. We didn't even have to get out of the truck! All the way home (5 miles) Ryan kept talking about our "spin out". "It looks like we're parked, Mommy." he said. And we were pretty much perpendicular to the road :)

At home, it was a pretty wonderful day. The boys played and cooperated and did crafts with mommy inbetween air hocky matches. I really enjoyed it.

No comments: