Thursday, October 9, 2008

Book Talk

I finally finished a book that has been on my must read list for a while. Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns has changed my life. It has sparred every emotion I have ever felt in life and I am sure it will be a story that will win prizes and stand the test of time as a great work of art. It is a story of an Afghan girl who faces great strife and finds love, peace, enjoyment in an unlikely friendship with a young girl. For sure, these statements are overwhelmingly simplistic as the dynamics of the story are complicated, heartbreaking...and yet, inspiring. I am still weeping with sorrow and hope. I have never re-read a book in my life but am sure that I will have to revisit this story again soon. (There are 2 other books that I will revisit when the opportunity presents itself--The Poisonwood Bible and Beach Music.) If you need a good read, pick this one up at your library. It will help you love and appreciate your family more (your children, your spouse, and even strangers/acquaintences that have touched your life.)

I know I don't normally post this type of message but I am truly moved by the story.

Have a good weekend.

No comments: