Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Finished "The Host"

Just finished reading Stephanie Meyers, "The Host". You know...she is the one with the vampire series "Twilight." The Host is such a different read but it was really enjoyable and really has me thinking. It's about this parasite that takes over a human body. Actually, Earth has been taken over by these parasites and there are only a few humans left. The tricky part is the fact that a few humans, even though their bodies are taken over, can communicate with the parasite. (It's not really as sci-fi as my description sounds.)
I enjoyed the read b/c it really takes a look at relationships...a theme I have been examining for some time now. These souls that have taken over the Earth live so congruantly that life is seemingly blissfully perfect. For this soul, however, the emotions and relationships that she shares with humans is telling. (I won't say more in case you want to read it:)

The main lesson is there can be no joy without equal weights of pain. I've always been one to recognize my extreme highs and lows, but also recognize that I would not give up the lows because they make the highs just that much more enjoyable. I would never want to be middle of the road. The soul in this stories knows about sacrifice and she is willing to give her all so that her loved ones can have it all.

Sounds kind of familiar. Today, I am so thankful for the one who gave his all for my happiness.

Okay....so here are a few other things I am thankful for:

Ryan's funny expressions.

Tyler the trooper who loves to push cars on pavement, bare skinned.

Our beautiful scenes...

Playing with the kids...doesn't everyone love bubbles?


No comments: